Monday, February 22, 2010

When they don’t ask.

Chinese New Year came and stayed on without much bickering. In fact, almost everything that I have mentioned in previous post didn’t materialised. There were no unavoidable conflicts, just wishes and red packets. (unless you decide to not rule out the argument the little ones have over who gets to play the X-BOX 360).

fighting-kids

It seemed to me that the Big MAN above made changes this year, probably blew a dash of magic dusts. Or maybe this year, the tiger decided to meow instead of roaring out loud ( ROL! )

baby_tiger_cartoon_sticker-p217228270117827351qjcl_400

Whichever the case, as peaceful as it appears to be, I can describe this year’s celebration as rather un-lively as compared to previous years. Call me meticulous or complain pot, but I’m just saying.

Maybe it’s better this way, less headache. Is there any hidden conflict that I was unaware of? Not that I noticed any. Hopefully, this time I’m right and Lady Luck is smiling on me.

But wait… it’s too darn quiet… even for my standards… ( I’m not too sure of what my standards consists of ) As I run through my checklist in my mind of the things that usually happens during this time of the year, there were things that were left out.

Among the ones that stood out was that there were no ‘Girlfriend’ question, which in my relatives’ case as rare as Hayley’s Comet passing by. Relieved that such a prayed for occurrence to happen, I plunged myself into the depths of the old leather sofa, ignoring the bits and toys that might be hidden within. The crummy old sofa has somewhat became a really comfortable chair.

Little did I know, that the next of my aunt's visitors would undoubtedly shake up the hours to come. A simple ‘hello’ and ‘Happy New Year’ came in order, as a groomed and build man appeared before me. My first impression was that this man was rather on the feminine side, with a 80% chance of being a steward. Forgive me for my prejudice. With him, his niece.

Now, as far as I could guess what you are thinking at this point of the story, I would like for to ask for a request. Do not assume anything for the moment.

So, while thinking, “Here’s another distant relative that I’ve yet to meet.” So, as everyone settled down and my aunt begins her usual long conversation with that man. Listening in, (there was nothing interesting to do at that moment) I sat correct, he was a steward and he met my aunt through the airlines. Now, for the second part, how did I know that the girl who came with him was his niece. I don’t. I’m good but not that good. Back again, how did I know?

Sean!” It was that instance, where I felt all the hard edges of that aged sofa. “Come here, I want you to meet someone”, I thought I’ve met everyone already. “This is Debbie, this uncle’s niece” By ‘uncle’ doesn’t mean we’re related. It’s just an Asian way of addressing anyone who is a generation older than you. “Debbie, this is Sean, handsome or not?” Stunned as I was, I just smiled. Hellooo Debbie.

From then onwards was my aunt describing how am I this great guy and worth considering and all that load of #$%^&. Debbie was just smiling while avoiding the chance of answering any question that was being thrown at her. I on the other hand, was left gobsmacked. Whether it was in utter embarrassment or unending laughter, I’m not sure. Whichever it is, it wasn’t the best situation to be in.

If it didn’t help make matters worse, Debbie here is 16 and just had her SPM results. Straight A’s. This dude here 19, 2A’s and a whole lots of B’s. Hallelujah! Forget the results! I’m just not interested Aunty Ann! But she pressed on with “He can drive” fact. If driving was a merit in courtship, I’d be the more eligible bachelor in this part of town, so to speak.

It wasn’t all smooth sailing till the end. In fact, right just before the Debbie and her uncle went back, my Aunt called. “Debbie, come and see who’s taller” The mentally exhausted girl dragged herself by my side. She’s at my eye. Quite tall. All Aunt said was how matching our heights were. Eyes rolling, I bade farewell to my guests and couldn’t help but constantly repeating the line, “What in God’s name had just happened?”

Smiling, she held my shoulders, “You want her facebookaccount or not?”. “No, thank you Aunty Ann”. Perhaps maybe in different circumstances, I would say hi and start over again. As I set course to the rugged sofa, my 15 year old cousin kept complaining on how I missed a chance of a lifetime. Obviously, he has yet to experience puberty to the fullest. I think he has just began to discover the other gender, or so says his mother.

But then again, the incident got me thinking. I would gone at it if I remained the same person as I was back in A Levels. So, how is it different this time? Nothing in particular really, just a simple case of ‘what do I really want?’. Only a few, I suppose. So few that I could count it a one hand. Could be a dream job. Could be two alphabets (guess?) that go together so well that I sometimes yearn for it. Could just be you.

Before I stray away, I’d like to wish you all a great year ahead. Good fortunes, Good health, Good people

And once a while, have moments like this to keep everything in perspective.

At the end of it all, when they don’t ask they match make..

vsh0685l

No comments:

Post a Comment